Her name is Terry and she’s one of the most inspiring people you’ll ever have the good fortune to meet.
She’ll greet you with a 1,000-watt smile, she’ll tell you like it is, and she’ll leave you feeling re-energized and ready to take on the world.
She’s been an incredible leader and mentor to many people, and here are five lessons in leadership that I learned from Mom.
1) Guardianship – As a leader of a team, you’re responsible for those individuals as people — not just as employees. Look out for them, understand them, and help them grow. They are your legacy.
2) Learning – True personal growth comes from seeing challenges as opportunities to learn something new.
3) Courage – Speak up for what’s right, face your challenges with confidence, and never stop moving forward. If you’re in a situation where you need to make a decision and you don’t have enough info, just be brave. Make the best decision you can with what you know and don’t look back.
4) Empowerment – Give people the tools they need to do it themselves. Even if they’re uncomfortable or scared, it’s important that you help them realize their potential instead of doing it for them.
5) Integrity – A job is just a job, but your integrity is everything. Always be true to your own values. If you find yourself working for a company that doesn’t uphold your values, you need to move on. It’s that important.
A note for my Mom ~ Happy Mother’s Day! Thank you for being such wonderful inspiration and mentor to so many people. You’ve touched more lives than you’ll ever know. Love, j. xoxo
© 2016 Jessica Walter, MS, APR
All content provided here is for informational purposes only and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of any organization with which the author is involved. Although the author makes an extensive effort to provide a complete representation of facts, there may additional helpful information provided by other sources. Whenever researching your own situation or devising a strategy, it is recommended to gather information from many sources. The author sincerely hopes that you find this information helpful and urges you to be inspired, to inspire others, and to be gentle with yourself as you continue on your path.
About the Author
Jessica Walter is a Communications Strategist with a passion for inspiring companies to live into their full potential. She’s found that the essential equation for long-term success includes Marketing, Culture, and Leader Development.
Jessica has been a marketing executive for a regional bank, a communications director for a health system, a public affairs officer for a Dept. of Defense command, and the assignment editor for a TV newsroom.
She holds a master’s degree in Leadership & Business Ethics from Duquesne University, a bachelor’s in Mass Communication from Towson University, and the Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) from the Universal Accreditation Board. She is also a Certified Lean Systems Leader.
You can reach her at email@example.com.